As we write this we are horsing (weaving back and forth, and sideways) during a thunderstorm bring rain we have not seen in a couple weeks.
Last Tuesday, we cruised back to Hinckley to have the repaired muffler re-repaired. While there, we decided to also have the starboard stabilizer oil leak checked out. Norm, remembering previous conversations with other DeFever owners about similar oil leaks advised them to check the oil feedback seal. But, their on-site “stabilizer expert” diagnosed a failed ram seal and we agreed to order the parts (quite expensive), but to send them back if not the right diagnosis. The regular mechanic then took a better look at the leak after moving some other equipment that was in the way and decided that yes, it was the oil feedback seal. Now in all fairness, Hinckley is not a Naiad service distributor but they have reported to have installed some and repaired many. So, we decided to have them order the correct parts and repair the leak. The problem—parts are not available now and won’t be until next Wednesday or Thursday. It seems there is a “run” on these seal repair kits, which Norm decided to confirm by calling Stabilized Marine in Ft Lauderdale, the company that installed the stabilizers on Tide Hiker.
And that’s not the big decision! There is some “little voice” telling us to rethink the crossing to Nova Scotia. It’s now been 10 days since the attempted crossing. We’ve been meandering around Mount Desert Island’s many beautiful harbors trying to sea trial the engine between muffler repairs and re-repairs while being pleasantly distracted by hiking Acadia National Park. Now, we will be stalled another week or so for stabilizer parts. We just do not want to make a 12-hour, 115 mile crossing without a thorough engine sea trial. We therefore decided to skip Nova Scotia. While we are disappointed not to be rejoining the mother ship and our friends in a new land, we are comfortable that we have made the right decision.
We have been thoroughly enjoying the Maine coast, as we have said a few times. So, we will continue to enjoy it. Additionally, in a couple of weeks Vicki’s mom will be joining us at Portland, ME. So, after the stabilizer is repaired we will meander south to Portland to pick up Avie. We will, during that run, be able to give the engine a great sea trial.
A Day In The Life - Dylan and Dee Dee have settled nicely into their new winter home. The best part is they now have a real routine, unlike the constant change of the boat. ...
5 days ago